Friday, October 5, 2007

boss pleasers

as i sit here and blog, i'm missing a meeting at work. a meeting that is not mandatory, but that is of some importance. it's not for lack of trying, or believing that it's a good meeting...but it's purely and simply for reasons that are honorable and true.

what's funny is that the first thought i had as i glanced at my watch and noticed that making the meeting had become an improbability, was that my boss would be ticked. and i realized that what bothered me more wasn't that i would miss a potentially useful meeting, but that my motive in going to that meeting had more to do with pleasing my boss than anything else.

when did i become the kind of person that tries so hard to please my boss? when did i lose sight of what is most important in my life? when did i become such a boss pleaser?

listen, i'm not advocating dropping personal work responsibilities. but i am telling myself it's time to reevaluate why i do what i do. it's time to refocus, and make first things first. it's time i realize that the reason i work hard, and the reason i strive for excellence has nothing to do with the guy in the corner office.

it has everything to do with the guy in the upstairs office.

No comments: