Monday, March 10, 2008

the cross

compelled to carry that wooden cross
the road began with joy and glee
each bend and turn promised relief
of life's routines and monotonies

but soon i staggered beneath the weight
of heavy burdens and loads of care
my heart tightened like a noose
unspoken needs, hard to lose

my shoulders stooped bent in pain
my cross a thorn hard to bear
all around me others stood
alone my soul misunderstood

what did i do to deserve this cross
now laid aside with cumbersome dross
my feet blistered like leaded freight
while i still shuffled in bended gait

then suddenly my eyes were opened
and next to me was one so gentle
he said that it was not intended
that this my cross be born alone

and as he bent to pick it up
i noticed something on his palm
it may have been dried up blood
or perhaps it was a well healed scar

next thing i know we're marching onward
my friend and i with welcome glee
my face shone brightly for all to see
my cross now light, my heart set free!

© labujamra